STEP - 1Purchasing a property worth minimum. 400.000$
STEP - 2Payment of concerned amount by bank transfer
STEP - 3Keeping the property for minimum 3 years
STEP - 4Fast Processing Times - Passport in 3 Months
In accordance with the Law amendment that has come into force in 19 September 2018, foreigners who purchase a property with at least 250,000 USD can acquire Turkish Citizenship. Also according to the new udpates on the regulation , the parliament decided to increase the purchase amount from 250.000 USD to 400.000 USD in JUNE 2022.
The first step for a foreigner willing to become a Turkish Citizen is to purchase a property with a minimum value of USD 400.000. There are certain points to be considered when purchasing the property.
- In order to obtain the title deed, foreigners must have a Turkish tax number which can easily be obtained from the Turkish tax offices.
- Property’s tax excluded price must be at least 400,000 USD.
- The title deed owner and applicant must be the same person.
- The valuation report must show that the property is worth more than 400,000 USD.
- Even though the payment is made in dollar, the price of the property will be written in Turkish Lira on the title deed. The exchange rate will be adopted according to the current day’s effective selling rate of official Turkish Central Bank.
- In case the foreigner will purchase the property in Turkish Lira, the exchange rate will becalculated according to current day’s effective selling rate of the official Turkish Central Bank
- The property must be purchased from a Turkish real person or Turkish company established with Turkish capital. It will not be acceptable to buy properties purchased from foreigners.
- The payment method must be via bank transfer exclusively from foreigners’ personal bank account to the sellers bank account and both sellers and buyers bank receipts documented and stamped by the relevant banks will be required in order to prove that the bank transfer is made. The payment will not be accepted if It was made cash. If the foreign buyer has a bank account in a Turkish bank, he/she can make the transfer from that account too.
After obtaining the title deed, the foreign buyer or his/her attorney must give a written promise on the Land and Registry office that he/she will not sell the property for 3 years. In the meantime, the property is rentable.
A foreigner can purchase multiple properties provided that he/she purchase them together and the total value of the properties must worth more than USD 400.000. besides, multiple foreigners can purchase one property provided that each of their parts will worth USD 400.000.
One of the most important parts of this process is the valuation report. The valuation report is required to be prepared by specialists who are licensed and authorized by the capital market board, in order to determine whether the acquired property is equal to the amount specified in the regulation (USD 400.000). The period of validity of the valuation report is up to 3 months before the purchase of the property. In case the foreign buyer has an attorney, the validation report will be provided by the Attorney/Law Firm.
Once the title deed, valuation report and receipts of the payment are obtained, the foreign buyer or his/her attorney can make the written promise (not to sell the property for 3 years) in the Land and Registry office. After the promise is made, the department of foreign affairs will send ‘’the title deed conformity document’’ to the foreign person’s or his/her attorney’s e mail address.
There is one more document that needs to be obtained before starting to fill the first application form: the health insurance policy. Foreigners must have a health insurance which is valid in Turkey. As the insurance period should cover the period of residence time required, the health insurance must be valid for at least one year. The health insurance should be supplied from Turkey. In case the foreign buyer has an attorney, the health insurance will be provided by the Attorney/Law Firm.
After submitting the required documents to the authorities on the residence permit appointment, the acquisition of Turkish citizenship process officially begins. The residence permit card will be prepared within a week and after receiving the card, foreign buyer or his/her attorney will fill up the Turkish Citizenship Application form from the official website of the government. In case he does not have an attorney, he/she must attend to the Turkish Citizenship Acquisition appointment once again at the foreigner citizenship application office with additional requested documents. On the other hand, if the foreign buyer has an attorney acting on his behalf, he/she won’t need to be present in the second appointment and his/her attorney can legally carry out the transactions on behalf of him/her. This will be the second step of the Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship process.
The required documents for the application of Turkish Citizenship are as following;
- Application form
- Passport, passport copy and notarized translation
- Civil status certificate as; marriage certificate, divorce certificate or the spouse’death certificate,
- Birth certificate showing the applicant’s identification information and birth certificate or certificate of identity register of spouses and children under 18 years old
- In case there is a child in the custody of one of the parents and is asked to acquire Turkish citizenship together with the parent, the document indicating the consent of approval of the other parent prepared by the competent authorities of his/her country or prepared by a notary in Turkey,
- 2 biometrical photos (also required on a CD)
- Service fee receipt
Briefly, foreign buyers should provide the following documents to his/her Attorney;
- Spouse’s and children’s birth certificates with an apostil and notarized Turkish translation prepared by the authorities of his/her county of residence.
- Civil status certificate; marriage certificate with an apostil and notarized Turkish translation prepared by the authorities of his/her county of residence.
Rest of the documents will be provided by the Attorney.
The foreign buyer’s spouse and children under the age of 18 will acquire Turkish Citizenship automatically once the main applicant in the family becomes Turkish Citizen.
Once the first (residence permit) appointment is made, it is expected to take about 3 months for the process of the acquisition of Turkish Citizenship to be concluded.
The Turkish Government will examine the file of each individual foreign investor and based on their research they will finalize the application.
In case the foreign buyer doesn’t have time to come to Turkey for performing all the transactions, he/she and his/her spouse should give a power of attorney to an experienced Law Firm/Attorney from the Turkish Embassy or a Notary in Turkey and the attorney will process the file on his/her behalf.
In that case, the foreign person should only attend the first residence permit appointment. After the appointment date he/she can directly return to his/her country and rest of the proceedings will be carried out by the attorney.
Briefly, in case the foreign buyer has an Attorney acting behalf of him/her, he/she must be present in Turkey only for the first Residence permit appointment and after the appointment the attorney will manage all the transactions behalf of the foreign client. After the finalization of Turkish Citizenship acquisition process, the foreigner and his/her family should come to Turkey to receive their Turkish id cards and passports.
In order to have an attorney that will legally represent him/her regarding the Turkish citizenship acquisition process, the foreigner and his spouse should give power of attorney to the Law Firm/Attorney from the Turkish Notary or the Turkish embassy in his county. The sample of POA (power of attorney) document will be send to the foreign Client by the Law Firm.
Can I pay, $400,000, the price of the property with instalments?No, the “Regulation” states that payment must be at once.
Can I buy an off-plan property for $400,000 and still be eligible for Turkish citizenship?Yes, with the recent amendment to the law, you can now acquire citizenship with an off-plan project in condition to provide a notarized contract.
Will Turkish citizenship be given only to the owner of the property?Turkish citizenship will be given to the owner of the property, his/her spouse and his/her children under 18 years old.
What type of real estate can I invest in to be able to acquire the Turkish citizenship?All immovables properties, like apartment, villa, land, hotels, farms… etc. are eligible for citizenship according to this regulation.
How can I be sure that I am getting the right value of my property investment?As part of our services, we provide a licensed valuation approved by the Capital Market Board in accordance with valuation standards.
I already own a property in Turkey, can I apply for Turkish Citizenship?The date of title deed acquirement must be after 19 September 2018, the date of the latest regulation announcement.
Can I invest $400,000 in more than one property and still be able to apply for Turkish citizenship through investment program?Yes, foreigners who own properties with a total value of more than $ 400,000 are eligible to apply for Turkish citizenship.
Can I sell the property after applying for Turkish citizenship?Yes, but you have to wait at least 3 years before you sell your property. You must write an official promise in the title deed stating that you commit not to buy the property before 3 years.
115 Visa-free travel countries including 26 Schengen zone ones
World Top 40th passport
10 Year-validity passport renewable
Allows dual citizenship
Full free medical assistance for life to all the family
Free education and University access
Free finance system, no tracking
No military service is required
No name change is required
I am Sami Hammoudeh from Jordan. We’ve been working with Istanbul Investments. We are very happy with their services, they showed us lots of apartment in Istanbul/Turkey. Then, we chose a very nice building in Maslak, we are all very happy with the building and the apartment. We are also so happy with their services and follow ups even after sales.. After we bought this flat, they kept contacting and helping us. While we were searching apartments, we were only looking for our vacation home. Then, after purchasing the apartment, our sales consultant Yesim informed us of new citizenship requlation and helped us with citizenship process. We worked with their partner lawyer team. We recently took our Turkish Passaports and we are so happy with their support before and after sales. I highly recommend working with Istanbul Investments, they are a very good team and they are honest and very helpful.. I would like to thank them very much for their support